Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mexican Cornbread





Growing up, every Christmas morning my mom made this recipe for breakfast. She got this recipe from a fellow student when she and my dad were in Texas for X-ray school. Ever since, it's become a family tradition! When Luke and I went down to Rolla Christmas morning my mom had made this, and boy was it good! Luke had been asking when we were going to make this at least twice a week ever since then. So we finally made it and it turned out great! It's more of a casserole type dish than traditional cornbread so we had it as our main course for dinner the other night. It is crispy on the outside, and moist and flavorful on the inside! If you don't like spicy foods you can use regular sausage rather than the "hot" sausage we used. Or if you like really spicy things you could add some diced chili peppers. Our version is sort of a medium heat I guess!


Speaking of Christmas, I already bought my first present for Luke, am I crazy? I was worried I would forget about it by next Christmas, ha! Cheers!


Mexican Cornbread


Ingredients


  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb. hot sausage
  • 1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 - 16 oz. can creamed corn
  • 10 oz grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 can Rotel, partially drained


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F






Cook the onion and sausage in a skillet until the meat is browned. Drain excess fat and set aside. 
In a bowl, mix the Jiffy, egg, milk, creamed corn, cheese, and Rotel. 




Fold in the onion and sausage.
Pour into greased 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 1 hour.



Cut and serve. 










1 comment:

  1. I'm eating this as we speak, delicious!!! I used plain old diced tomatoes instead of rotel because hubby can't do spicy stuff and used 2 boxes of jiffy instead of one and regular corn because I didn't have cream corn. Added sour cream on top after and omg this is sooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete