Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tortellini Soup





I stumbled upon this recipe last fall on one of my favorite food blogs Annie's Eats. It looked so fresh and yummy, and who doesn't like a nice hot bowl of soup on a cold day? I made a few tweaks to the recipe to give it a bit more flavor and I am really pleased with the results! Luke liked it too, even though he's not a huge soup fan. It was very easy to make, perfect for a week night meal! Most of the ingredients I already had on hand, I just had to buy the fresh tortellini, which I found by the specialty cheeses in my grocery store. 


Tortellini Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juices (I use the one with the Italian spices)
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth)
  • 9 oz. fresh tortellini
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
  • Salt and pepper
  • Grated Parmesan, for serving
Directions

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions to the pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Mix in the oregano, cayenne pepper, and diced tomatoes.  Add the broth to the pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions.  One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, stir in the spinach.  Remove from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve warm with grated Parmesan.


Adapted from: http://annies-eats.com/2011/02/15/tortellini-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment